All the facts about the Gr 1 Winx StakesThursday 16 August 2018
THE WINX STAKES - WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
* Group One, 1400m, $500,000, weight-for-age. Run at Randwick 9.30pm
* First held in 1923 and has become a weight-for-age focal point for Sydney-trained horses starting their spring campaigns
* Renamed this year from the Warwick Stakes to the Winx Stakes and elevated to Group One status in recognition of the three-time Cox Plate winner
* Has found a permanent home at Randwick after being a long-time spring feature on the Warwick Farm calendar
* Wasn't held in 2007 because equine influenza brought racing in NSW to a standstill 24 hours before race day
* Limerick (1927,-29), Flight (1944), Bernborough (1946), Tulloch (1957), Sky High (1961-62), Kingston Town (1980,-82), Super Impose (1990-91), Sunline (1999), Lonhro (2001, 03), Winx (2016-17).
WHAT SOME OF THE KEY PLAYERS ARE SAYING:
"It's almost impossible for a horse to get better than Winx but there's a chance. I think there's more chance of her improving than going backwards" Winx's trainer Chris Waller.
"I've got great respect for all opposition in the race but when it does come down to it we just feel like he's a sporting chance of giving her a scare" Kementari's trainer James Cummings.
"Maybe we can get a picture near her in the mounting yard" Invictus Prince's trainer Matthew Smith.